With a full two months left of summer, we still have plenty of time for barbecues! There is no better way to gather family and friends for good food and good times. Here are a few fun facts about barbecues, courtesy of the Hearth, Patio, and Barbecue Association (www.hpba.org):
- The most popular holidays for barbecuing are, in order, July 4th, Memorial Day, and Labor Day.
- The most popular foods for cooking on the grill are, in order: burgers, steak, hot dog, and chicken.
- The side dishes most commonly prepared on the grill are, in order, corn, potatoes, and other vegetables.
- Competition barbecuing is one of the hottest hobbies in the country with hundreds of cook-offs held throughout all 50 states. The biggest and most famous are Memphis in May and The American Royal in Kansas City. Both cities stake their claim to being the barbecue capital of the U.S.
- Barbecues have been a White House tradition since Thomas Jefferson. Lyndon B. Johnson, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Regan, George H. Bush, and George W. Bush were all known to throw massive barbecues.
Do you love barbecues as much as we do? Try our BBQ box, which contains everything you need for a delicious barbecued meal. The box contains our Barbecue Sauce Recipe, a jar of MEESH’S® Fra Diavlo sauce, barbecue spice blends, chocolate treats, a grill mitt, and a basting brush. Great as a birthday gift, wedding gift, or housewarming gift!