This delicious dish has clean ingredients, is guilt-free, and easy! As a Mom of two young children, I love finding ways to ‘sneak’ extra veggies into our meals, and this lasagna is a great opportunity to do just that!
By adding in powerhouse veggies like carrots, zucchini and spinach, you get a great dose of antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, and zinc. The extra boost of fiber will aide in digestion, help maintain a lower blood sugar and curb overeating.
This is a great dish for the colder months! I hope you ENJOY!
Italian Sausage and Spinach Lasagna
(Modified & adapted from a recipe in Health Magazine)
Prep: 25 minutes; Cook: 65 minutes
8 servings (serving size: 1/8 of lasagna)
- 6 whole wheat uncooked lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces hot or mild Italian turkey sausage (preferably organic)
- 1 (25-ounce) jar Meesh’s No-Salt/Low Sugar Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini (pressed dry)
- 1 (15-ounce) carton fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained, and squeezed dry)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain, but do not rinse. Arrange noodles in a single layer on wax paper to prevent sticking.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well; return to pan.
- Add Meesh’s No-Salt/Low Sugar Marinara Sauce, carrot and zucchini; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Spoon 3/4 cup sauce mixture into bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Arrange 3 noodles over mixture.
- Combine ricotta cheese, salt, 1/2 cup hot water, spinach, and basil in a large bowl; spoon half of mixture over noodles.
- Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 cup sauce mixture. Repeat layers with remaining ricotta mixture, 3 noodles, and remaining sauce mixture.
- Cover dish with foil; bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella, and bake 30 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
CALORIES: 354 per serving
Kara Scieszka is the owner and founder of Olive Naturally, LLC., maker of all natural skincare products for the whole family. She is a mother of two, who is extremely passionate about nature, clean eating, and eliminating toxic chemicals from our lives. Kara is an active member of the Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families Coalition working to change federal chemical laws. She recently launched a 100% natural line of baby products called Olive My Baby™. You can find out more about Olive Naturally at www.olivenaturally.com