For a low salt alternative to your regular chicken soup, use Meesh’s Marinara No Salt no Sugar Added Marinara Sauce
- 2 bone-in split chicken breast
- 1 small onion- halved, peeled
- 2 large garlic cloves- whole, peeled
- 1 small red topped turnip- halved
- 3 celery stalks- cut in thirds
- 3 carrots cut in thirds
- 3 fennel stalks or half a bulb cut in thirds
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh thyme (or dried equivalent)
- 20 sprigs of fresh parsley (or dried equivalent)
- fresh ground pepper ( 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp to taste)
Place chicken in pot and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper. Add all other ingredients around and on top of chicken. Add just enough water to cover chicken. (Other ingredients will cook down as it simmers). Bring to just a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer partially covered for 1-1.5 hours.
Strain broth to another pot and discard all but chicken. Once chicken is cool enough to handle shred chicken for soup. If there is left over chicken use it to make chicken salad:-)
For the soup:
- 2-3 carrots halved and sliced
- 3-4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 jar of Meesh’s Marinara No added Salt or Sugar Sauce (or more to taste)
- 1/2 lb of tubetti pasta (or any small pasta)
While cooking stock, prepare pasta according to box directions (eliminating salted water) until al dente. Drain and rinse quickly with cold water and set aside
Add carrots, celery, parsley, and sauce to stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approx 20 min or until desired tenderness of veggies. Add spinach, pasta, and chicken to heat through.
Serve and Enjoy! You will never miss the salt!!